Suspenders is the base Rails application used at thoughtbot.
First install the suspenders gem:
gem install suspenders
This will create a Rails app in
projectname using the latest version of Rails.
- Enable Circle CI Continuous Integration
- Enable GitHub auto deploys to Heroku staging and review apps.
To see the latest and greatest gems, look at Suspenders' Gemfile, which will be appended to the default generated projectname/Gemfile.
It includes application gems like:
- Autoprefixer Rails for CSS vendor prefixes
- Bourbon for Sass mixins
- Bitters for scaffold application styles
- Delayed Job for background processing
- Flutie for
- High Voltage for static pages
- Honeybadger for exception notification
- jQuery Rails for jQuery
- Neat for semantic grids
- Normalize for resetting browser styles
- Postgres for access to the Postgres database
- Rack Canonical Host to ensure all requests are served from the same domain
- Rack Timeout to abort requests that are taking too long
- Recipient Interceptor to avoid accidentally sending emails to real people from staging
- Refills for “copy-paste” components and patterns based on Bourbon, Neat and Bitters
- Simple Form for form markup and style
- Skylight for monitoring performance
- Title for storing titles in translations
- Puma to serve HTTP requests
And development gems like:
- Dotenv for loading environment variables
- Pry Rails for interactively exploring objects
- ByeBug for interactively debugging behavior
- Bullet for help to kill N+1 queries and unused eager loading
- Bundler Audit for scanning the Gemfile for insecure dependencies based on published CVEs
- Spring for fast Rails actions via pre-loading
- Web Console for better debugging via in-browser IRB consoles.
And testing gems like:
- Capybara and Capybara WebKit for integration testing
- Factory Bot for test data
- Formulaic for integration testing HTML forms
- RSpec for unit testing
- RSpec Mocks for stubbing and spying
- Shoulda Matchers for common RSpec matchers
- Timecop for testing time
Suspenders also comes with:
./bin/setupconvention for new developer setup
./bin/deployconvention for deploying to Heroku
- Rails' flashes set up and in application layout
- A few nice time formats set up for localization
Rack::Deflaterto compress responses with Gzip
- A low database connection pool limit
- Safe binstubs
- t() and l() in specs without prefixing with I18n
- An automatically-created
SECRET_KEY_BASEenvironment variable in all environments
- Configuration for CircleCI Continuous Integration (tests)
- Configuration for Hound Continuous Integration (style)
- The analytics adapter Segment (and therefore config for Google Analytics, Intercom, Facebook Ads, Twitter Ads, etc.)
You can optionally create Heroku staging and production apps:
suspenders app --heroku true
- Creates a staging and production Heroku app
- Sets them as
- Configures staging with
HONEYBADGER_ENVenvironment variable set to
- Creates a Heroku Pipeline for review apps
- Schedules automated backups for 10AM UTC for both
You can optionally specify alternate Heroku flags:
suspenders app \ --heroku true \ --heroku-flags "--region eu --addons sendgrid,ssl"
See all possible Heroku flags:
heroku help create
This will initialize a new git repository for your Rails app. You can
bypass this with the
suspenders app --skip-git true
You can optionally create a GitHub repository for the suspended Rails app. It requires that you have Hub on your system:
curl http://hub.github.com/standalone -sLo ~/bin/hub && chmod +x ~/bin/hub suspenders app --github organization/project
This has the same effect as running:
hub create organization/project
Suspenders uses spring by default.
It makes Rails applications load faster, but it might introduce confusing issues
around stale code not being refreshed.
If you think your application is running old code, run
And if you'd rather not use spring, add
DISABLE_SPRING=1 to your login file.
Suspenders requires the latest version of Ruby.
Some gems included in Suspenders have native extensions. You should have GCC installed on your machine before generating an app with Suspenders.
Use OS X GCC Installer for Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6).
Use Command Line Tools for Xcode for Lion (OS X 10.7) or Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8).
PostgreSQL needs to be installed and running for the
db:create rake task.
If you have problems, please create a GitHub Issue.
Thank you, contributors!
Suspenders is Copyright © 2008-2017 thoughtbot. It is free software, and may be redistributed under the terms specified in the LICENSE file.
Suspenders is maintained and funded by thoughtbot, inc. The names and logos for thoughtbot are trademarks of thoughtbot, inc.