Parses the taxonomy of GOV.UK into a browseable tree structure.
Add this line to your application's Gemfile:
And then execute:
Or install it yourself as:
$ gem install govuk_taxonomy_helpers
The API is provisional and is likely to change for versions < 1.0.0.
To access the taxonomy, first get the content_id of the piece of content you want the taxonomy for, then parse it to get a
require 'govuk_taxonomy_helpers' taxonomy = ::.( content_id: "c75c541-403f-4cb1-9b34-4ddde816a80d", publishing_api: Services.publishing_api )
LinkedContentItem built from a taxon can access all narrower term taxons below it and all broader term taxons above it.
A taxon may have many child taxons, but can only have one or zero parents.
taxon.children # => [LinkedContentItem(title: child-1-id, ...), LinkedContentItem(title: child-2, ...)] taxon.parent # => LinkedContentItem(title: root, ...) taxon. # => [LinkedContentItem(title: root, ...), LinkedContentItem(title: taxon, ...)]
LinkedContentItem built from an content_item that isn't a taxon can access all taxons associated with it.
content_item.taxons # => [LinkedContentItem(title: taxon, ...), # LinkedContentItem(title: another-taxon, ...)] content_item.taxons_with_ancestors # => [LinkedContentItem(title: root, ...), # LinkedContentItem(title: taxon-parent, ...), # LinkedContentItem(title: taxon, ...), # LinkedContentItem(title: another-taxon, ...)]
- Taxonomy: The hierarchy of topics used to classify content by subject on GOV.UK. Not all content is tagged to the taxonomy. We are rolling out the taxonomy and navigation theme-by-theme.
- Taxon: Any topic within the taxonomy.
- Content Item: A distinct version of a document. A taxon is also a type of content item.
To run a Yard server locally to preview documentation, run:
$ bundle exec yard server --reload
- Fork it ( https://github.com/alphagov/govuk_taxonomy_helpers/fork )
- Create your feature branch (
git checkout -b my-new-feature)
- Commit your changes (
git commit -am 'Add some feature')
- Push to the branch (
git push origin my-new-feature)
- Create a new Pull Request