This gem aims at being a simple and reliable solution for controlling external programs running in the background on any Ruby / OS combination.
The code originated in the selenium-webdriver gem, but should prove useful as a standalone library.
process = .build("ruby", "-e", "sleep") # inherit stdout/stderr from parent... process.io.inherit! # ...or pass an IO process.io.stdout = Tempfile.new("child-output") # start the process process.start # check process status process.alive? #=> true process.exited? #=> false # wait indefinitely for process to exit... process.wait process.exited? #=> true # ...or poll for exit + force quit begin process.poll_for_exit(10) rescue :: process.stop # tries increasingly harsher methods to kill the process. end
The object returned from ChildProcess.build will implement ChildProcess::AbstractProcess.
How the process is launched and killed depends on the platform:
- Unix : fork + exec (or posix_spawn if enabled)
- Windows : CreateProcess and friends
- JRuby : java.lang.Process,ProcessBuilder
Note on Patches/Pull Requests
- Fork the project.
- Make your feature addition or bug fix.
- Add tests for it. This is important so I don't break it in a future version unintentionally.
- Commit, do not mess with rakefile, version, or history. (if you want to have your own version, that is fine but bump version in a commit by itself I can ignore when I pull)
- Send me a pull request. Bonus points for topic branches.
Copyright (c) 2010-2012 Jari Bakken. See LICENSE for details.