ActsAsTree extends ActiveRecord to add simple support for organizing items into parent–children relationships.
class Category < ::Base include acts_as_tree order: "name" end root = Category.create("name" => "root") child1 = root.children.create("name" => "child1") subchild1 = child1.children.create("name" => "subchild1") root.parent # => nil child1.parent # => root root.children # => [child1] root.children.first.children.first # => subchild1
We also have a convenient
Presentation module you can mixin if you want a little visual representation of the tree strucuture. Example:
class Category < ActiveRecord::Base include ActsAsTree extend ActsAsTree::Presentation acts_as_tree order: "name" end > Category.tree_view(:name) root |_ child1 | |_ subchild1 | |_ subchild2 |_ child2 |_ subchild3 |_ subchild4 => nil
We no longer support Ruby 1.8 or versions of Rails/ActiveRecord older than 3.0. If you're using a version of ActiveRecord older than 3.0 please use 0.1.1.
Moving forward we will do our best to support the latest versions of ActiveRecord and Ruby.
- 1.5.0 - December 16th, 2013
Added new descendants method-- adamkleingit
- Fixed warning message -- akicho8
- 1.4.0 - June 25th, 2013
leaf?methods. -- xuanxu
- 1.3.0 - March 29th, 2013
- Rails 4.0 Support! -- mischa78
- Readme Fixes -- mischa78 & seanhussey
- 1.2.0 - October 29th, 2012
- Adding new
self_with_ancestorsaccessor -- fbuenemann
rootsis now a scope.
- Adding new
- 1.1.0 - April 24th, 2012
- Deprecate the ActiveRecord::Acts::Tree module in favor of ActsAsTree
- 1.0.1 - April 18th, 2012
- Include the Railtie for easier loading in Rails. Will reassess the forced module inclusion in the future.
- 1.0.0 - April 14th, 2012
- Official 1.0 release. Force users to include the ActiveRecord::Acts::Tree module.
- 0.2.0 - April 9, 2012
- Rails 3 Support
- 0.1.1 - February 3, 2010
- Bug Fixes
- 0.1.0 - October 9th, 2009
- First Gem Release
Note on Patches/Pull Requests
- Fork the project.
- Make your feature addition or bug fix.
- Add tests for it. This is important so we don't break it in a future version unintentionally.
- Commit, do not mess with rakefile, version, or history. (if you want to have your own version, that is fine but bump version in a commit by itself so we can ignore when we pull)
- Send us a pull request. Bonus points for topic branches.
Copyright (c) 2007 David Heinemeier Hansson
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the 'Software'), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED 'AS IS', WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.