nfreeze: a Ruby translation of p5-Storable
This is a very limited version of Storable of perl 5, written in Ruby.
Needs of this library
I happen to encounter a Memcached cluster whose main users are Perl programs.
Perl's memcache client use Storable to serialize/deserialize structures so the cluser is full of strings in that format.
In order to smoothly migrate into Ruby I have to use that cluster as-is. My program had to understand that thing. So this library.
How to use
This library adds 2 methods,
nfreeze is much like
thaw is like
Marshal.load; the format is different form Ruby's though.
- Not every strings that Perl generats can be understood by us.
- For instance we theoretically cant deserialize a Perl OOP class.
- Perl strings that are not network portable are also not supported.
- Poorly tested.
- You need a working perl to test this library and that's a pain for me. I have relatively few motivation to test this.
- Slow. It is in pure-Ruby.