Suspenders is the base Rails application used at thoughtbot.
First install the suspenders gem:
gem install suspenders
This will create a Rails app in
projectname using the latest version of Rails.
To see the latest and greatest gems, look at Suspenders' Gemfile, which will be appended to the default generated projectname/Gemfile.
It includes application gems like:
- Airbrake for exception notification
- Bourbon for Sass mixins
- Bitters for scaffold application styles
- Delayed Job for background processing
- Email Validator for email validation
- Flutie for and
- High Voltage for static pages
- jQuery Rails for jQuery
- Neat for semantic grids
- New Relic RPM for monitoring performance
- Normalize for resetting browser styles
- Postgres for access to the Postgres database
- Rack Timeout to abort requests that are taking too long
- Recipient Interceptor to avoid accidentally sending emails to real people from staging
- Refills for “copy-paste” components and patterns based on Bourbon, Neat and Bitters
- Simple Form for form markup and style
- Title for storing titles in translations
- Unicorn to serve HTTP requests
And development gems like:
- Dotenv for loading environment variables
- Pry Rails for interactively exploring objects
- ByeBug for interactively debugging behavior
- Bundler Audit for scanning the Gemfile for insecure dependencies based on published CVEs
- Spring for fast Rails actions via pre-loading
- Web Console for better debugging via in-browser IRB consoles.
And testing gems like:
- Capybara and Capybara Webkit for integration testing
- Factory Girl for test data
- Formulaic for integration testing HTML forms
- RSpec for unit testing
- RSpec Mocks for stubbing and spying
- Shoulda Matchers for common RSpec matchers
- Timecop for testing time
Suspenders also comes with:
./bin/setupconvention for new developer setup
./bin/deployconvention for deploying to Heroku
- Rails' flashes set up and in application layout
- A few nice time formats set up for localization
Rack::Deflaterto compress responses with Gzip
- A low database connection pool limit
- Safe binstubs
- t() and l() in specs without prefixing with I18n
- An automatically-created
SECRET_KEY_BASEenvironment variable in all environments
- Configuration for Travis Pro continuous integration
- The analytics adapter Segment (and therefore config for Google Analytics, Intercom, Facebook Ads, Twitter Ads, etc.)
You can optionally create Heroku staging and production apps:
suspenders app --heroku true
- Creates a staging and production Heroku app
- Sets them as
- Configures staging with
RAILS_ENVenvironment variables set to
- Adds the Rails Stdout Logging gem to configure the app to log to standard out, which is how Heroku's logging works.
You can optionally specify alternate Heroku flags:
suspenders app \ --heroku true \ --heroku-flags "--region eu --addons newrelic,pgbackups,sendgrid,ssl"
See all possible Heroku flags:
heroku help create
This will initialize a new git repository for your Rails app. You can
bypass this with the
suspenders app --skip-git true
You can optionally create a GitHub repository for the suspended Rails app. It requires that you have Hub on your system:
curl http://hub.github.com/standalone -sLo ~/bin/hub && chmod +x ~/bin/hub suspenders app --github organization/project
This has the same effect as running:
hub create organization/project
Suspenders requires the latest version of Ruby.
Some gems included in Suspenders have native extensions. You should have GCC installed on your machine before generating an app with Suspenders.
Use OS X GCC Installer for Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6).
Use Command Line Tools for XCode for Lion (OS X 10.7) or Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8).
PostgreSQL needs to be installed and running for the
db:create rake task.
If you have problems, please create a GitHub Issue.
Suspenders is maintained and funded by thoughtbot, inc.
The names and logos for thoughtbot are trademarks of thoughtbot, inc.
Suspenders is Copyright © 2008-2014 thoughtbot. It is free software, and may be redistributed under the terms specified in the LICENSE file.