This Rails 3.1 application is about keeping reports on your application up to date without overloading your database.
- Execute and SQL query every hour and optionally run some code to transform it a bit
- People can create reports in various formats (csv, json, pdf, etc) from that with another optional transform
- These reports are saved at a public (albeit crazy-long) URL for linking from dashboards or your application
By doing this caching and running against a read-only database, it will reduce the load on the database as compared to application report generators or giving lots of people SQL access.
The code leverages the Ruport library wherever possible.
Server installations needed:
- some rvm ruby (ree)
To deploy the app, I'm using the copy capistrano method to prevent github keys being needed.
bundle exec cap production deploy:setup
Then, I put my version of daily.yml in the /app/path/shared directory.
bundle exec cap production deploy:cold bundle exec cap production deploy:migrations bundle exec cap production seed:admin
Which makes the first user
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- password: changeme
- Variable report refresh cycle (minutes, hours, days)
- Allow JSON inputs into report formatters
- Make more report formatters
- Make more transforms
- Cache the table data (also on a variable schedule)
Copyright (c) 2011 Brian Leonard, released under the MIT license