A simple and lightweight mixin library for Sass.
Bourbon is a library of pure Sass mixins that are designed to be simple and easy to use. No configuration required. The mixins aim to be as vanilla as possible, meaning they should be as close to the original CSS syntax as possible.
The mixins contain vendor specific prefixes for all CSS3 properties for support amongst modern browsers. The prefixes also ensure graceful degradation for older browsers that support only CSS3 prefixed properties. Bourbon uses SCSS syntax.
For command line help, visit our wiki page on Bourbon’s command line interface.
- Install the Bourbon gem using the RubyGems package manager:
gem install bourbon
Alternatively, you can install Bourbon with Bower.
- Install the Bourbon library into the current directory:
Pro Tip: You can target installation into a specific directory using the
bourbon install --path my/custom/path/
- Import Bourbon at the beginning of your stylesheet:
It’s not recommended to add or modify the Bourbon files so that you can update them easily.
Installation for Ruby on Rails 3.1+
- Add Bourbon to your Gemfile:
- Then run:
- Restart your server and rename
mv app/assets/stylesheets/application.css app/assets/stylesheets/application.scss
- Delete the Sprockets directive in
*= require_tree .
- Import Bourbon at the beginning of
application.scss. All additional stylesheets should be imported below Bourbon:
@import "bourbon"; @import "home"; @import "users";
Installing older versions of Bourbon
- Uninstall any Bourbon gem versions you already have:
gem uninstall bourbon
- Reinstall the Bourbon gem, using the
-vflag to specify the version you need:
gem install bourbon -v 3.2.3
- Follow the instructions above to install Bourbon into your project.
- Chrome 10.0+
- Firefox 3.6+
- Internet Explorer 9+
- Opera 12+
- Safari 5.1+
The Bourbon family
- Bourbon: A simple and lightweight mixin library for Sass
- Neat: A lightweight semantic grid framework for Sass and Bourbon
- Bitters: Scaffold styles, variables and structure for Bourbon projects
- Refills: Prepackaged patterns and components built with Bourbon, Neat and Bitters
Also check out Proteus, a collection of useful starter kits to help you prototype faster. Each kit comes with Bourbon, Neat and Bitters out-of-the-box.